Gap Year Australia! Living and working in Australia on your gap year allows you to experience the country’s rich cultural heritage. There’s so much on offer. From vibrant cities to the rugged outback or the northern tropics, a Gap Year in Australia is the perfect way to spend a year abroad. Working in a variety of settings, you will be able to develop your skills and pursue new interests while contributing to children’s education and enjoyment.
School Assistant placements are located throughout Australia in some of the country’s most welcoming and exciting schools. You will have the chance to work alongside teachers and develop your own teaching skills. There’s also the chance to build strong relationships with the children as you assist with all aspects of school life.
Placement volunteers are generally based in the boarding house or PE/sports department and most schools try to give the volunteer a varied timetable. There’s a strong emphasis on volunteers to get involved with extra-curricular activities such as sports coaching, music, drama and other activities including trips and excursions. Schools in Australia request volunteers with a variety of skills and the Lattitude matching process aims to align volunteers with the correct skills and interests to schools where they can get as involved as possible and really enjoy their placement.
Indigenous School Assistant
We also have some School Assistant placements in indigenous schools. These placements will give you the opportunity to learn about remote indigenous communities in Australia while supporting young students living away from their traditional support network. They will suit patient, resourceful people who are accepting of the beliefs and values of Australia’s indigenous communities.
School Assistants are paid a weekly allowance.
Outdoor Camp Assistant
Outdoor Camp Assistant placements in Australia involve working with groups of children coordinating and running activities including: surfing, snorkeling, mountain biking, hiking, canoeing, archery or even snowboarding, depending on the location of the camp and the time of year. As you assist instructors you have the chance to gain qualifications and eventually lead the activities. You may also help out with maintenance of the placement, assist with the running of the camp and get involved with the pastoral care of the campers at the start and end of the day. Outdoor Camp Assistants are paid a small weekly allowance to help with day-to-day expenses.
What to expect:
Accommodation and food
Accommodation is provided on site (for schools it may be in the boarding house) and food is supplied in conjunction with accommodation.
Volunteers in Australia will receive between $70 (Aus)- $150 (Aus) per week at schools placements and between $50 (Aus) – $75 (Aus) per week at outdoor camps.
Need to know
- Pre departure briefing – all volunteers are invited to a group briefing prior to departure.
- On arrival – volunteers attend a three-night orientation in Melbourne with the other volunteers in their cohort. This is included in the Lattitude fees, along with food and accommodation.
Free Time & Travel
Diversity is the word when it comes to travelling in Australia. From forests, mountains and deserts to coral reefs and lively cities, volunteers in Australia rave about their adventures on this giant island. Australian cities are lively and offer an excellent array of attractions for tourists. If you are placed in a school, it is likely that you will be given 2-3 weeks off during the school holidays. This is perfect for spending a couple of weeks exploring the cultural and geographical gems Australia has to offer.
Volunteers have the opportunity to travel in and around Australia during school holidays or at the end of the placement. Don’t miss the chance to learn to surf on the East coast, snorkel or dive the Great Barrier Reef. Exploring the tropical jungles of the Northern Territories while learning about Aboriginal culture comes highly recommended. Visit the vineyards of South Australia or experience Sydney! From culture vultures to outdoor enthusiasts, there really is something for everyone in Australia.
Lattitude Application Fee – £50
The application fee covers the cost of processing applications and conducting interviews.
All applicants are guaranteed an interview. This fee is non-refundable.
Lattitude Placement Fee:
UK/EU nationals: £2,450
Other nationals: US$3450
Don’t forget there’s a paid allowance at your Gap Year Australia & New Zealand placements!
As part of the placement the following is provided:
- In depth matching process to align your skills and interests with a placement that really suits you
- Assigned Volunteer Coordinator to help with all your pre-departure advice and guidance
- Links with returned volunteers
- Relevant DBS/police check fees
- Advice on obtaining a Visa
- Pre-departure briefing
- Airport pickup on arrival
- Accommodation for the duration of stay in Australia
- Food provided by host (may not be included during school holidays)
- In-country orientation as part of country programme network of international Lattitude volunteers
- Day to day support from your placement host and a member of staff as your mentor
- 24/7 support from Lattitude, including in-country support from local reps and the Lattitude Country Manager
- Focus on your personal volunteer learning and development
- Returned Volunteer follow up and Debrief Event
- Opportunity to join the Lattitude Alumni Association
- Certificate of completion and references (on request)
- International Flights
- Onward travel to placement (if applicable)
- Travel insurance
- Pocket Money for weekends/ holidays/post-placement travel
- Accommodation and food during holiday periods
As a charity we always recommend our volunteers fundraise to help meet the costs involved in volunteering overseas. In many ways it is part of the whole experience. For more information and fundraising ideas please click here.
Placement Availability – 2020
Swipe left/right for more information
|School Assistant||July 2020||5 Months||Spaces Available|
|Outdoor Camp Assistant||July 2020||5 Months||Spaces Available|
Placement Availability – 2021
Swipe left/right for more information
|School Assistant||January 2021||5 or 11 Months||Spaces Available|
|Outdoor Camp Assistant||January 2021||5 or 11 Months||Spaces Available|
|School Assistant||July 2021||5 Months||Spaces Available|
|Outdoor Camp Assistant||July 2021||5 Months||Spaces Available|
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org regarding availability for departure dates within the next 3 months to avoid disappointment